Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Scurvy Predators



I snapped this picture yesturday morning. I was getting our coffee (Starbux Gazebo...today's fave.) and I looked out the kitchen window in time to see this scurvy predator beautiful blue heron. The truck is like a tree stand perfect perch for the bird as he surveys his breakfast our trout pond right below.


I know Rod is not happy that the blue heron hs been making our trout pond his own personal McDonald's drive-thru, picking up his Filet 'O' Fish whenever the mood strikes him.



But to use Rod's work truck to get a better view is just adding insult to injury.
Ouch.



This morning, I was cleaning up the kitchen, when I noticed Lila sitting and staring solemnly at the counter. Once in a while , she would heave a sigh in a much put-upon manner. Finally, I looked over to see what she was staring at so intently.

Ahhh. A girl after my own heart. She just wanted a little butter with her breakfast. She is polite. She won't take it without permission.


Which makes me think of a friend, (I won't mention her name, but her initials are "LINDA")


who, as a little girl would eat butter sticks.


Yes, you heard me. Sticks of butter. I actually have dreamed of doing that.


You'd think she would be as big as an Escalade, but honestly, she is more like a Mini-Cooper.



And she can sing like a blue heron bird.


I wonder if all the butter helped?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"She's got a voice like melted buttah"...someone actually wrote that on my FB wall the other day!

Insider's scoop: I had to hide under the coffee table to enjoy my stick. When I got caught there was a paddle involved. Totally worth it ;)

Robin Lambright said...

Wonderfully well behaved dogie, our's, who is still a puppy, would have snatched the butter and raced to the living room rug, tossed it in the air a few times, then he would have spent some time rolling around on it for a while.

Blessings
Robin

Brenda on the S OR Coast said...

We used to feed our little ones pats of butter to keep them busy while waiting at nice restaurants... I think it's brain food, lots of cholesterol and all that...

Michelle said...

Hi!

When Snowball was still alive, Mom and I were going shopping for the day and took a huge bowl of Gravy (That's spaghetti sauce to you non Italians) to defrost to make Lasagna when we got home (we always made huge quantities and froze some). This bowl was 18" across and almost as deep. When we got home, the bowl was licked clean and my beautiful white dog was orange. She was sick for days! She never liked Italian food after that, wonder why!

Robynn's Ravings said...

I'm sorry but, uh, I LOVE your blue heron! lol

And sticks of butter? My sister used to do that when she was little! And she could sing like a bird, too. Boy, I MISS her!

And BTW, you have a VERY polite dog. :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I have to go meet the butter eater. the dog pic is so funny. What a good girl she is.