Tuesday, November 4, 2008

May the Road Rise Up to Meet Ye


In this case, it is an Irish curse, not a blessing. I have a bonny condition known as Vestibular neuronitis which causes the lovely and abrupt onset of vertigo.

What is vertigo, you ask?

It is like you are riding a cool roller-coaster ride all the time. Without having to pay for it. And without the actual coaster. Or the fun.


It is when you walk about as if you have been drinking again.


It feels as though the spinning, it JUST WON'T STOP.


Please, road, stop all the rising up to greet me. Just stay where you are.


Rolling waves of nausea. They also rise up to greet me.


I always knew I hated sailing.


Dr. Grise just says to lay in bed with my eyes closed until it resolves itself. This has been since Thursday and although they are not quite ready to read a book or all my back log of blogs yet, my eyes are ready to be open.



Good things:


*I saved.

While Rod has been out hunting these last ten days, I should have been doing the female equivalent and been shopping. This is what I do.



*And I change decor. (I really use that term "decor" loosely. Ask my Reader Brenda.) But I think I finally figured out what color to paint my kitchen cabinets after really studying the Terra cotta tiles very closely. For about an hour. While I couldn't move.


*Rod will be home soon. Today!
*This incident gave my sis-in-law Tam a chance to drop a few incidents, showcasing the differences in our lives. Like this one:
Tam:Oh, this reminds of that time when I had altitude sickness from mountain climbing. Boy, was I sick!"
Me: retch-groan...
Tam:No, on second thought, this is more like when we were moving from one African country to another and I couldn't help because I was so dizzy. No doctor could pinpoint exactly what the problem was. They ran test after test...
Me: groan-whine-retch
Tam: No, wait! This totally reminds me of that time when we were rafting down the Nile River and I....
Okay, I added that last one in, but Tam would have added it if she could have figured out a way to seamlessly segue. Notice how she contracts glamorous conditions in exotic locals and I have a glorified pimple in my ear while laying on our StainMaster polymer? What is up with that?
Did I mention she is going to Switzerland in January? Gee, I hope she doesn't break a leg. Although, it would be a great story to use against me later. :-)


*I know that there is an end in sight. This made me empathize with my mother in law who is house bound, and in pain every day. The phone calls of encouragement meant so much to me, as did the warm meal that my wonderful niece made. My son and daughter who rushed up to make sure I was alive....or put their name's on things they wanted after I'm gone. Well. Whatever.


15 comments:

Dena said...

I have that too, although never knew the name for it. The doctor just said a virus of the inner ear leading to vertigo. Anywho...I only get it every 5-7 years (like the plague)and the last time I got it the morning after I started a brand new job. It lasted two weeks, and by the time I was better, I no longer had a job. :-/

Hope you feel better soon!

larkswing said...

Bless Your Heart! That stinks! I hope it passes and the world stops spinning for you for a long time!

Gretchen said...

Praise God for your faith and His faithfulness.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Didi. My friend's dad has Meniere's Disease, and the ringing and vertigo are sometimes horrific. I'll pray for you today.
Not fun. :(

Liz said...

I used to get vertigo frequently, so I feel your pain. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Oh, girl, I hate to be dizzy and nauseous almost worse than anything. :(

Feel better soon and glad your man is coming home...

Robin Lambright said...

Prayers for a speedy recovery. I had a nasty cold a few weeks ago and had an almost constant feling of floaty/spinny/whirrly feelings, I think it was all the clod medication and a pit of inner ear/head congestion. I was so thankful when my head regained some stability and felt like it was attached to my neck. It was unplesant to say the least. I feel you pain, my sympathies go out to you!
I Hope you feel better soon.
Blessings
Robin

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oh my GOSH I laughed so hard at "I have a glorified pimple in my ear while laying on our StainMaster polymer? What is up with that?" LOL

I had vertigo for a couple of days once, and my Dr. gave me some medicine (antivert??) that helped with the symptoms until it leveled itself out. Tried it?

Hope you get better quickly! Thanks for the laugh!

Amy Plumb said...

I hope you feel better soon. I know people who suffer from this and it can be frustrating.
Prayers are going out for you to recover 100% from this.
Amy

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

If I was there I would bring you a nice warm meal, in non-dizzying neutral colored containers! Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling a little better. Hang in there and stay away from real roller coasters!

Mimi's Toes said...

I know what you are going thru. My mom suffers from that and also Tinitis, which is ringing in the ear. I feel so bad for her when she has bouts with it. You are in my prayers tonight.

His Girl said...

oh blick. praying for you this very minute.

way to look at the blessings :)

Linda said...

Hi..I stopped here last week and and just realized I didn't comment :( so..I'll be praying for you. I have never experienced waht you are going through..but I have close friends who have & I understand...Hope you'll be feeling better and be gone with it soon!! Have a great day!! PS>>>>> I forgot to mention to you that I posted an award for you last week..I AM VERY forgetful. It's there for you..you'll have to visit & scroll down to Nov5th. Sorry....Have a wonderful day!!!!

Unknown said...

Wait...actually, the worst time was when we were climbing the Pyramids and the Egyptian sheik we were with caught me as I was falling into King Tuts tomb...no wait, maybe it was when we were riding motos in Thailand.....so, what color DID you decide on for your cupboards??

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

WEll, gee, that pic itself in the post almost made me retch. Hope it's all better soon. Mine was inner ear, I think. Nausea is the WORST.