Thursday, July 31, 2008

Learning to believe what I believe


Welcome to the first posting for the Beth Moore Believing God online bible study. We are so glad you are here.

Coffee and tea are over in the corner and if Linda remembered to bring snacks, they will be over there,too, next to the childcare donation basket.
Let's begin by singing to the Lord together....
"This is the air I breathe......"

Wow. Didn't that sound exactly like every women's' bible study you have ever been a part of?
Well, don't get too excited because we're not gonna be able to follow that format. At all.

For one, I can't sing. Not even a little bit. Especially not when I'm wearing these old sweats and ratty slippers.
But, I'll tell you what:
Grab your coffee anyway and lets talk to each other about what we learned from "Believing God" this week. Let's have some CHURCH!

I'll go first. Because I'm competitive and over-eager like that.

First off, this is a lot of work! Every day!

But can I just say how G.O.O.D. that is for me at this particular time this summer?

The Greek stuff? Well, much of it is still Greek to me. But I like that Beth seems to think I can understand it anyway. Makes me feel smart, somehow.
The blue cord? It is on my right wrist and reminding me daily not to follow my own heart, but to follow the Lord and His commandments.

The bedtime meditations? I do love this theory. Going to sleep thinking on, meditating on what God has been doing in my life that day. In truth, it is usually about some form of reality television. I will need to wrestle with this one.

When I first read through the five statements of faith :

1. God is who He says He is.

2. God can do what He says He can do.

3. I am who God says I am.

4. I can do all things through Christ. (who strengthens me.)

5. God's word is alive and active in me.


I kind of skimmed them, nodding my head internally and agreeing wholeheartedly with each statement.

Then I read them again. I think I believe one and two without reservation but I had to slow down and carefully consider # three.

Whoops.

I looked up scripture that tells me who God says I am and realised that I don't live my life like that. Victoriously. Like God loves me, every minute or every day. Like I am God's handiwork. Like I am an heir of God, since I am a daughter of God. And I could go on and on.

I am seeing one area where I need to believe in God with all my heart.

How about you?

What statements struck you this week? What scripture whispered in your ear and stayed in your heart? What truths are you coming away with?
Please leave a note here and feel more than free to add your blog address if you want to post about the bible study at your blog. We'd love to have you do either or both.

13 witty remarks:

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Andrea Gold's 'Euphoria' kit.